Shibuya is known worldwide for its busy scramble crossing-but the neighborhood is currently going through some big changes. Shopping complexes, a reclaimed river and more are giving people a whole new reason to visit this sightseeing staple.
Shibuya Stream A large, 180-meter multipurpose complex that opened in September 2018. Home to the offices of a large IT firm, a hotel, event hall, restaurants and more. Along with the building of the complex came the resurrection of the Shibuya River, which created a lively new riverside atmosphere.
Magnet by Shibuya 109 A building right by Shibuya's famous scramble crossing. A part of the building was remodeled in spring 2018. Has a rooftop deck where you can look at the crossing, a food court full of unique cuisine, souvenir shops with Shibuya-themed merchandise and more.
Henn na Cafe The world's first cafe with coffee made by a robot. The robot, whose name is Sawyer, takes care of tasks from setting the cup and filter to cleaning the used appliances with precision movements-and visitors can watch the whole process.
Shibuya City Tourism Association Guide Tour Guided tours for visitors to Japan that began in spring 2018. Includes the Walking Tour, which takes you from shrines to back alleys, and the Food & Drink Tour, where you can try sake, sushi and more. The Japanese guides are converse in the history and culture of Shibuya and Japan. Tours can be booked at the tourist office right outside Shibuya Station's Hachiko Exit.
- 1) Shibuya Stream
- Address: 3-21-3 Shibuya, Shibuya-ku
- 2) Magnet by Shibuya 109
- Address: 1-23-10 Jinnan, Shibuya-ku
- 3) Henn na Cafe
- Address: 1-21-3 Jinnan, Shibuya-ku (Shibuya Modi B1F)
- 4) Shibuya City Tourism Association Guide Tour
- Address: 2-1-1 Dogenzaka, Shibuya-ku
- When did you first come to Japan?:
- I was born in Chiba prefecture and lived there until I was 5 years old, and for the next 10 years of my life I grew up in Sydney, Australia. Since the age of 15 I have been back living in Tokyo.
- What do you like about Tokyo?:
- Tokyo has played an important role in helping me to discover my potential in the entertainment industry. The abundance of creativity, influenced by the traditional yet technologically advanced metropolis that is Tokyo, continuously motivates me to broaden my horizons. I particularly enjoy frequenting art galleries, local cafes, and independent cinemas.