In recent years, the number of foreigners visiting Japan has been steadily increasing. And many people are visiting again and again because of Japan's beauty industry. This time, we look at a variety of salons and other beauty hot spots.
1) Assort Tokyo
This is Japan's #1-ranked hair salon for both men and women. The skills of its stylists are highly rated. And many staff are foreign-language capable with experience working overseas, so customers can use English to communicate. Serves a wide clientele of all ages and walks of life, from foreigners to designers and models.
One of a handful of shave salons for women in Japan. The process removes peach fuzz and old keratin while thoroughly moisturizing the skin. It's a new level of skincare beyond what you can do with depilatories and other home-use beauty products.
Hours: 10am-9pm (M-Sat), 10am-8pm (Sundays & holidays)
This spa stimulates spa-goers with classic sights, sounds, scents, tastes and textures of Japan.
Unique treatment options include a full-body massage using lengths of Japanese-grown bamboo that have been blessed by a Kyoto temple, or mineral-rich salt from the Seto Inland Sea.
Hours: 11am-9pm (M-F), 10am-7pm (weekends & holidays)
4) Studio Navi Jiyugaoka
A new and different way to do fitness workouts, using fabric hammocks that hang from the ceiling.
By assuming various poses while the hammock bears your weight, even beginners can work different muscle groups without straining their backs or applying too much force. Balancing while suspended in midair tones arms, abs, pecs, shoulders and more.
5) Total Foods
A restaurant specializing in high-protein cuisine, the menu features high-protein/low-fat/low-carb entrees made with superfoods like quinoa, soy meat, and other fitness-friendly ingredients. Six sandwiches and eight entrees to mix and match each day.
"Eating for beauty and health" is the principle behind this restaurant serving up curries, hot pots and other dishes in a yakuzen style that incorporates traditional medicinal ingredients. The signature broth recipe took eight years to develop and uses more than 20 ingredients, offering a tantalizing flavor that dispels the image of yakuzen food as bitter.
Hours: 11:30am-3pm (lunch), 5pm-10pm (dinner)
- 1) Assort Tokyo
- Address: B1F Rihei Bldg., 2-10-28 Kita-Aoyama, Minato-ku
- 2) Fini
- Address: M2F Seibu Shibuya Bldg. A, 21-1 Udagawacho, Shibuya-ku
- 3) Waspa
- Address: 5F Ginza Miss Paris, 5-10-2 Ginza, Chuo-ku
- 4) Studio Navi Jiyugaoka
- Address: B1F, 1-5-1 Jiyugaoka, Meguro-ku
- 5) Total Foods
- Address: B2F Roppongi Hills Metro Hat Hollywood Plaza, 6-4-1 Roppongi, Minato-ku
- 6) 10Zen
- Address: Nihondo Kampo Museum, 3-25-29 Takanawa, Minato-ku
- Writer, translator, aspiring fitness instructor
- When did you first come to Japan?:
- I arrived in 2007.
- Reason for coming to Japan:
- When I first came to Japan, I was curious about the culture, and deeply interested in the Japanese alternative music scene -- I still am! There's still a lot of new, upcoming acts on the rise and it's exciting to do some digging to discover them.