(1) Corned Beef with Mayo Omusubi
Canned corned beef
1. Mix the corned beef with mayonnaise.
2. Place a handful of cooked rice on plastic wrap.
3. Put the mixture of corned beef and mayo in the center of the rice.
4. Gently shape the rice into a ball and sprinkle with a pinch of salt, on both sides.
5. Gently squeeze the ball, 7 times, gently!
6. Remove the plastic wrap and wrap the rice ball with nori.
(2) Salmon and Shiso Omusubi
Salted salmon flakes
1. Mix the salmon flakes and shredded shiso leaves with the rice.
2. Gently squeeze the rice making a short fat cylinder, gently!
(3) Sesame and Nori Omusubi
Gim / Korean roasted seaweed sheet
1. Tear the seaweed into small pieces and mix with sesame seeds.
2. Mix into the rice.
3. Shape the Omusubi in any shape using your palms, or shape the rice in between 2 bowls. This way you can make Omusubi without using your hands.
(4) Rika's Tonjiru
Ingredients (Serves 2)
1 piece kombu kelp (10 cm)
3 shiitake mushrooms
5 cm gobo burdock root
10 cm Naganegi long onion
2 slices pork belly
2 tbsp miso
1. Soak the kombu in a pot of water for 30 minutes. Wrap the katsuobushi with paper towel.
2. After 30 minutes, turn the heat on low. Remove the kombu just before the water boils.
3. Once it's boiling, turn off the heat and add the katsuobushi. After 7 minutes, take out the katsuobushi.
4. Cut all the ingredients; vegetables, ginger and pork belly into thin strips.
5. Turn the heat high and add all the ingredients and simmer until tender.
6. Turn off the heat and dissolve the miso.