(1) Negi Miso Rolled Omelet
Ingredients (Serves 3 to 4)
For the Negi miso base:
1/2 Naganegi long onion
30 g miso
50 ml sake
30 g mirin
For the eggs:
90 ml katsuobushi and kombu dashi
1. Sauté sliced Naganegi in sesame oil until tender.
2. Once the Naganegi is tender, season with sake and mirin.
3. Add miso to make the basic Negi miso.
4. Combine the beaten eggs with dashi.
5. Add 3 tbs of Negi miso and mix it all together.
6. Heat a liberal amount of oil in the pan and pour off the excess.
7. Pour a small amount of the egg mix into the pan and spread over the surface. Once it starts to set, push to the side to form a roll.
8. Oil the empty part of the pan and pour more mix into the pan and under the roll to cover and thicken. Repeat this process 4 times or so and you have a rolled omelet.
(2) Cumin, Burdock and Rice
Ingredients (Serves 5 to 6)
450 g rice
1/2 burdock root
5 g cumin
1. Rinse and drain the rice, set aside for 10 min and soak for 15 min.
2. Shave the burdock root and soak the shavings in water.
3. Heat the cumin in oil to extract its flavor and aroma.
4. Add the rice, drained burdock root, cumin oil and salt to the pot and mix together.
5. Place over high heat. Once it comes to a boil, give it good stir and reduce the heat to low to simmer for 15 min.
6. Steam for about 10 min, and it's done.
(3) Sake Lees Gratin with Local Vegetables
Ingredients (Serves 1)
For the white sauce:
Naganegi long onion, as needed
Cauliflower, as needed
Vegetable dashi, as needed
Milk, as needed
Sake lees, as needed
Rice flour, as needed
Anchovy, as needed
Cheese, as needed
Panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
1. Chop up the Naganegi and cauliflower.
2. Add oil to the pot and sauté the chopped vegetables until tender. Add the salt and vegetable dashi, cover and simmer.
3. Once the cauliflower is tender, turn off the heat and add the milk, sake lees, salt and pepper. Mix well and return to heat.
4. Mix the rice flour with water and add to the pot to thicken. Simmer for 2 more min. and you have your white sauce with sake lees.
5. Make half-boiled eggs.
6. Peel and place the eggs in a gratin dish to mash. Cover with anchovies, white sauce, cheese and panko.
7. Preheat the oven to 190-200 degrees Celsius and bake for approx. 10 min. Once the top side is a golden brown, it's ready to serve.