(1) How to Make Dashi Stock
1500 ml water
60 g kombu
45 g katsuobushi
1. Soak the kombu in the water overnight. Place the pot over heat and remove the kombu just before it comes to a boil and you have your basic kombu dashi.
2. Bring the kombu dashi to a boil, turn off the heat and set aside to cool to 75-80 degrees Celsius.
3. Add the katsuobushi.
4. After about 15 seconds, filter the liquid for katsuo-kombu dashi.
(2) How to Cook Rice
Ingredients (Serves 3)
300 g rice
300 ml water
1. Rinse the rice and soak in water for 30 minutes.
2. Drain and set aside for 30 minutes.
3. Transfer the rice to a thick clay pot and add an equal amount of water.
4. Place over high heat. When it comes to a boil, keep cooking for 15 minutes.
5. Cover and steam for several minutes and the rice is done.
(3) Chef Karaki's Special Rice
Rice, as desired
Katsuobushi (bonito flakes)
1. Dab a small amount of wasabi on the rice and drizzle with soy sauce. Garnish with katsuobushi.
2. Sprinkle Sansho pepper over the scorched rice, Okoge, and pour dashi over it.