(1) Chicken Thigh Kara-age
Ingredients (Serves 2)
1 chicken thigh (approx. 300 g.)
1 tbsp grated ginger
1 tbsp sake
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp grated garlic
1 tsp nam pla fish sauce
120 ml potato starch
180 ml vegetable oil for deep frying
Lemon, as desired
1. Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Rub in the marinade with grated ginger, garlic, sake, soy sauce and fish sauce.
2. Coat with starch and deep-fry in the oil at 170 to 180 degrees Celsius.
3. Garnish with a wedge of lemon.
(2) Chicken Breast and Daikon Soup
Ingredients (Serves 2 to 3)
1 chicken breast
6 slices ginger
3 slices garlic
1 Naganegi long onion
850 ml water
2 tbsp sake
10 cm daikon radish
1 1/4 tsp salt
Pepper, to taste
2 tsp soy sauce
Green onions, as desired
Yuzukosho, to taste
1. Place chicken in a pot of water and bring it to a boil. Add Naganegi long onion, garlic, ginger, sliced daikon radish and carrot and sake. Simmer.
2. Remove the chicken from the soup. Wrap it in aluminum foil. Cook with residual heat.
3. Once the daikon and carrot are cooked, remove the Naganegi long onion.
4. Season with salt and soy sauce. Slice the cooked, juicy chicken and warm it in the pot.
5. Garnish with pepper, chopped green onions and Yuzukosho.