Part 1: Common Rules
Chapter 1: General Provisions
1.Scope of Application
such as the distribution of contents (meaning broadcasting programs and other information, including images, sounds, pictures, texts and applications etc., that can be delivered via the Internet; the same shall apply hereafter.) through “NHK WORLD ONLINE” website as operated by NHK,
the distribution of Apps or APIs, and the distribution of contents through SNS or video-sharing services etc. (external SNS etc.) operated by external entities or other institutions, etc.
In the Terms hereunder, “Part 1: Common Rules” set forth the rules common to the Services as a whole, while “Part 2: Types of Services” set forth the rules for each of the Services. In using the Services, the provisions set forth in the “Part 1: Common Rules” shall apply in addition to such rules as provided for each type of the Services.
It is noted that NHK may use the Services for news coverage, program production and publication purposes, etc.
As for the Services where NHK is the information provider, it will comply with the following guidelines etc.:
- NHK Broadcasting Guidelines 2015
- Standards for Domestic Programs and/or Standards for International Programs
- NHK Policy on Protection of Personal Information
- Broadcasting Programs and Copyright
- Practice Standards for the Internet
- NHK Internet Guidelines 2015
You are asked to read and agree to the Terms before making use of the Services.
It is noted that the use of the following services are limited to the territory of Japan, so that the Terms shall not apply thereto:
- NHK Net Club
- NHK On Demand
In the course of using the Services, users shall be prohibited from:
- Violation of laws and regulations of Japan;
- Infringement of intellectual property rights such as copyrights and neighboring rights of NHK or any third person (except for the case when such rights of NHK or a third person are restrained by laws and ordinances);
- Offense against public order or morality;
- Any conduct that may have an negative impact on the operation of the Services by NHK, including unauthorized access to servers or network of NHK;
- Using the Services in contradiction of the purposes thereof;
- Posting any content containing false or fraudulent information, or transmitting or posting any harmful computer programs, e-mails or the similar.
5.No Guarantee; Modification of Service; Indemnification
- NHK does not guarantee that the Services have no error or bug in their use.
- Users must understand in advance that NHK may change the details or specifications of, or suspend or cease to provide, the Services without prior notice, provided, however, that in case of any material changes in the specifications, a sufficient get-acquainted period shall be provided before implementation thereof.
- NHK will not have any liability for any damage arising out of suspension, delay or termination of use of the Service, or loss of data due to interruption or malfunction of communications line or computer, any damage caused by unauthorized access to data, or any other damage sustained by poster in connection with the use of the Services.
- NHK shall not take any responsibility in any manner with regard to disputes between users of the Services.
6.Governing Law; Jurisdiction
- The use of the Services and the formation, effectuation and interpretation of the Terms shall be governed by and in accordance with the laws of Japan.
- The Tokyo District Court shall have competent and exclusive agreed jurisdiction for the first instance over any dispute with users that may arise out of or in relation to the use of the Services.
- In principle, users may establish any links to the Services other than those provided in a manner that may infringe copyright or neighboring rights of NHK or a third person or in a form that may cause false recognition or confusion of sources, which shall be hereby prohibited.
- NHK may make use of links to external sites from the Services when it deems necessary to do so, provided, however, NHK shall not be responsible and liable for any contents, etc. of the external sites to be linked.
Minors are not allowed to use the Services without an appropriate supervision of the guardian.
9.Browser, Other Software Used
It is recommended to use the latest version of browsing software for safer and more comfortable use for the NHK WORLD ONLINE.
Each of the browsers listed below has been confirmed for its function, others than which may not properly view pages.
- Windows: Internet Explorer 11 or Edge, Google Chrome 55.0 or higher, Mozilla Firefox 50.0 or higher;
- Mac: Safari 9.1.2 or higher, Google Chrome 55.0 or higher, Mozilla Firefox 50.0 or higher;
- For pages optimized for the display of smart phones:
iOS: Safari for iOS 8.0 or higher, Google Chrome 55.0 or higher;
Android: Google Chrome 42.0 or higher;
- On the NHK WORLD ONLINE, in order to protect personal information provided by users, encrypted communication system (SSL) is used.
- On the NHK WORLD ONLINE, in order to enhance user-friendliness and obtain visual effect, Java Script is used, so users should make Java Script available in their browser settings.
- For a part of contents on the NHK WORLD ONLINE, Flash Player is used, so users should install the latest version of Adobe Flash Player to use the Services more comfortably.
- When NHK intends to revise the Terms, it will prepare sufficient period with clear notification of the revised terms in advance, except for those that will not give any detrimental effect to users or minor changes.
- This shall also apply to the provisions under “Part 2: Types of Services” hereof.
- For the Services which require registration of users in their using, it will also be requested to agree to the revised Terms, if technically practical.
Contact information is as follows:
Part 2: Types of Services
Chapter 3: Postings from Users
15.Postings from Users
- NHK may receive posting of contents from users (hereinafter “Posting Site”) for news coverage, program production and other purposes.
- For using the Posting Site, this Chapter 3 (Postings from Users) of “Part 2: Types of Services” shall apply in addition to “Part 1: Common Rules” of the Terms.
16.Considerations in Posting
- It is required that any content to be posted shall be a content taken or produced personally by the person who intends to post that content (hereinafter referred to as “Poster”). It shall be acknowledged that any other content that are taken or produced by a third person will be refused to be posted.
- It shall be acknowledged that any content in posting accepted may be used in the methods set forth in each item under Article 17(1).
- In the event that Poster has no right to use as provided in Article 17(1) hereunder, Poster may receive a claim for liability from a legitimate right holder. NHK shall hereby be indemnified for any damage with respect to any dispute arising out of Poster’s posting of such content that Poster has no right to use under Article 17(1).
- NHK reserves the right to inquire on the content of posting received.
- It is at NHK’s sole discretion to decide whether the content is broadcast or publicized, and its order, period, etc., which are related to NHK’s judgment on editorial operation, so that any of the criteria on publication will not be disclosed nor will it be informed in advance whether each content has or has not been adopted.
- Communications cost accruing in posting shall be borne by each Poster.
- If Poster is a minor, he/she must have an approval of his/her guardian before posting.
Copyright, etc. in the content posted shall be handled as follows:
(1) Copyright shall be vested in the Poster, provided, however, that with respect to any content that is posted with Poster’s consent to the Terms, NHK shall be entitled to use, free of charge, such content without limitation of period and/or archive the content and programs produced by use of the content for the purposes set forth below:
- To use it for broadcasting programs and the Internet site of NHK;
- To use it for public relations of NHK, exhibitions, study and research (including posting to external Internet sites);
- To submit it to competitions, etc. within and outside the country;
- To contribute to public projects within and outside the country upon NHK’s sole judgment;
- To broadcast it at stations or via CATVs within and outside the country;
- To make use of it for events or other occasions within and outside the country;
- To provide it for NHK’s broadcasting related other media, such as books, magazines, DVDs;
- To make use of it for any other media that may be developed in the future.
(2) In making use of such content posted, NHK may edit a content upon NHK’s sole discretion by altering, omitting and so forth to the extent that such editing does not affect the truthfulness and credibility of the content.
(3) At broadcasting or publication of a content, the Poster’s name or its designated name may be displayed after obtaining a consent of the Poster.
18.Suspension or Termination of Receiving Content, etc.
For the purpose of maintaining the Services in a good condition, NHK shall be entitled to take necessary measures, including suspension or termination of using the Services,
whole or a part, without prior notice, when it performs a regular or urgent maintenance, there is a lumped load on the system, or otherwise NHK considers it may cause any disturbance to its operation. In such cases, NHK shall not be liable for any damage sustained by the Poster.
19.Termination of Use by Specific Poster
In the event of any of the following items conducted by a specific Poster, NHK shall be entitled to refuse posting from such Poster without a prior notice. In such cases, NHK shall not be liable for any damage sustained by the Poster.
- When a Poster has violated laws and ordinances or the Terms;
- When a Poster has performed any improper conduct in posting a content;
- When NHK otherwise considers a content as inappropriate.
20.Handling of Poster’s Information
- NHK may request a user to provide a part or the whole of Personal Information, such as the name, address, phone number and e-mail address, when it considers it necessary to contact the Poster for news coverage or program production. In this case, the Personal Information Protection Rules for News Report, Literary Work and Academic Research Fields shall apply in relation to the personal information and privacy.
- In the case of obtaining and/or using personal information for any other purpose than those mentioned above, the Personal Information Protection Rules except for News Report, Literary Work and Academic Research Fields shall apply.
- Please refer to “Part 1: Common Rules” of the Terms.
22.Use of NHK Accounts
- It shall be noted that the usage by NHK of certain External SNS etc. does not mean that NHK recommends use of said External SNS etc.
- The purpose of each NHK Account shall be stated on the account.
- Some accounts permit users of external services to post comments, etc. freely and those comments may be visible to ordinary users. In such cases, each NHK Account should only be utilized within the scope of its stated purpose.
- External SNS etc. may require the registration of personal information and/or authentication for use. Such personal information shall be acquired and/or retained by the company or institution, etc. that provides the service. NHK does not acquire or retain this information.
- For matters relating to the use of External SNS etc., please contact the company or institution, etc. which operates the service in question.
- NHK Accounts may be terminated by NHK without prior notice. Such accounts may also be terminated at the convenience of the external service.
- NHK shall not be responsible in any manner for defects, bugs, problems, errors, suspensions of service, etc. due to External SNS etc., or for disputes between users of NHK Accounts.
- Opinions and questions for NHK Accounts should be submitted via Contact Us on NHK WORLD ONLINE.
23.The Handling of Comments Posted to NHK Accounts
(1) Deletion of Comments
NHK may delete, hide etc. comments posted, regardless of the intention of the person making the comment, when the reason specified in “Part 1: Common Rules, Article 4: Prohibitions of the Terms” or any of the following are considered to apply:
- In cases of criminality or infringement of statute, or where such behavior is triggered or encouraged, or where there is concern.
- In cases of defamation, infringements of privacy or personal image rights, copyright, other infringement of rights of others, or where there is concern that such may arise.
- Items unrelated to the purpose of NHK Account.
- Items unrelated to information distributed by NHK.
- Multiple comments of the same type, comments made for publicity or commercial purposes, comments made in impersonation of NHK or another person, or comments obstructive to the operation of NHK Account.
(2) Handling of the Content of Comments, etc.
NHK is not responsible for the content of comments, etc. posted by users because these originate from the users. Any opinions or questions regarding such content should be addressed directly to the user who posted it. If you believe that a post has violated your personal rights, please inform us via the application form.
(3) Archiving of Comments, etc.
The archiving of posted comments and, when archived, terms of archiving are decided only by the external service provider and NHK has no involvement in these decisions. NHK bears no responsibility for the loss of or damage to such posted comments.
24.Requesting the Deletion of Comments, etc. Considered to Violate Personal Rights
(1) Basic Policy
In the case where a claim is received from a person who believes that his or her rights have been violated by a comment, etc. posted by a user of an NHK Account, NHK shall inform the user who posted the comment and seek his/her opinion, etc. as necessary. If, on this basis, NHK decides that the claimant’s rights have been violated, and if such is technically possible, NHK shall delete, hide, etc. the comment, etc.
(2) Procedure for Requesting the Deletion of Comments, etc.
- Please submit your deletion request using the application form.
- The form must be completed and submitted by the person demanding the deletion.
- Specify the posted comment, etc. which you consider to violate your rights by the URL, title, poster’s name, etc. (when the poster can be identified by an account name or pseudonym, etc.), the content of the post, the date of the post, etc. NHK can only respond on the basis of sufficient information.
- Documentation confirming the claimant’s identity may be required in some cases. In cases of claims of infringement of copyright or other intellectual property rights, it may be necessary to present documentation confirming that the claimant possesses those rights.
- NHK cannot respond if information submitted on the form is incorrect or insufficient, or the documentation requested is not forthcoming.
- Personal information shall only be handled to the extent necessary for the deletion request. Unless permitted by the claimant when filling in the form, the claimant’s name shall not be passed on to the poster of the comment.
- When NHK decides that a reported comment falls within any items covered by “Part 1: Common Rules, Article 4: Prohibitions of the Terms” or “Article 23(1): Deletion of Comments” of this chapter, it may delete, hide, etc. the comment, etc. regardless of the content of the claim.
- NHK does not provide individual notifications about either its decisions or its reasons for making those decisions.
25.Usage of NHK Apps
- From time to time, applications are operated by third parties which misrepresent as NHK by using confusing names, etc. However, those applications not listed in the table of NHK Application are not provided by NHK. Please be careful that NHK shall not be liable for any of such applications that misrepresent as NHK.
- Table of NHK Apps