Scrap Car to Tough Bag

Zero Waste Life

15m 00s
Broadcast on February 11, 2022 Available until February 11, 2025

In Japan over 3 million vehicles a year are scrapped. 80% of the components can be recycled, but the remaining 20% can't be and is discarded as trash. Auto wrecker Kamimura Masanori made up his mind to find a new use for seatbelts and airbags instead of throwing them away. Made to save lives, they're incredibly tough and seldom degrade over time. Combining seatbelts sewn together with airbag linings, he created sturdy bags suitable for outdoor activities. He calls his creation the "Tough Bag."

Program Outline