Foreign residents can receive 100,000-yen handout

Foreign residents who are listed on the country’s Basic Resident Register as of April 27th and have carried a visa for more than three months are eligible for the 100,000 yen handout the government is providing for all residents as part of its coronavirus economic response package.

*Accepting applications for the handout ended. Please visit the following link for Japan's financial aid programs: Coronavirus financial aid programs in 2022

How to apply

Applications and payments will be made without human contact to prevent infections and minimize clerical work at municipal offices.

The municipality where you are registered will send an application form to the head of every registered household. The head of household has to fill out their name, date of birth, address, and bank account number, and send the application back with copies of their ID and bank account information. The sum is then transferred to the listed account.

If the head of household cannot apply due to poor health or other reasons, someone else can fill out the form.

If you have a My Number Card (Individual Number Card), you can apply online at this website:

If you don’t have a bank account, you are allowed to submit the form in-person at the municipal office and receive the money at a later date. Check with your municipality for other exceptions.

When will the money arrive?

Each municipality decides when to start accepting applications and when to distribute the money. The applications will be accepted over a period of three months.

Applicants will start receiving the handouts in May at the earliest.

Fraud alert

The Consumer Affairs Agency says it expects scams related to the handout. It says to be wary of suspicious phone calls and emails requesting bank account pin numbers and other information.

You do not need to use an ATM or go to the bank to apply for or receive the handout. Any phone calls or emails saying otherwise are part of scams. Do not respond.

More information

Information about the handout and the Basic Resident Register is available on the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications website. Telephone consultation is also available.

On the handouts:

0120-260020 (Toll-free call)
-9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.

About Basic Resident Register:

-0570-066-630 (call forwarding)
-03-6436-3605 (when calling from IP phones or PHS)
-Japanese, English, Chinese, Korean, Spanish, Portuguese, Vietnamese, Thai, Indonesian, Tagalog, and Nepali
-From April 1, 2020 to March 31, 2021.
-Weekdays: 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. (except for national holidays and from December 29th through January 3rd).