Protesters around the world condemn Rafah airstrike

Israeli forces have defied an order that was issued on Friday by the International Court of Justice to halt their offensive in Rafah, southern Gaza. They launched an airstrike over the weekend that health authorities in the enclave say killed at least 45 people. The attack has drawn criticism around the world.

Protesters in Spain on Monday said they do not want to be "accomplices" to what they call a "genocide." Their political leaders joined those in Ireland and Norway last week to add their nations to the more than 140 others that have recognized Palestinian statehood. Demonstrators in Istanbul also made their voices heard as they marched to the Israeli consulate.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told lawmakers on Monday that he and his team are investigating the strike. He said his forces made "immense efforts" to avoid harming civilians, but something went "tragically" wrong.

Netanyahu added: "For us, any noncombatant hurt is a tragedy; for Hamas, it's a strategy. That is the core difference."

Israeli military spokesperson Daniel Hagari said on Tuesday an investigation is underway into what caused a "large fire" following the strike. But he stressed that Israel's ammunition alone could not have sparked a fire of that size. Hagari added there may have been weapons stored nearby.

Israeli troops have not let up in their offensive in Rafah. Reuters news agency reported witnesses as saying tanks have advanced to the center of the city for the first time.