Japan's expert panel resumes discussions on Nankai Trough mega-quake estimations

The Japanese government's panel of experts has resumed discussions to update the study on the after-effects of an anticipated massive earthquake in the Nankai Trough along Japan's Pacific Coast.

The experts on Friday held their first meeting in about five months, as their talks had been suspended after a major earthquake struck the Noto Peninsula in central Japan on January 1.

The panel has been working to revise the 2012 estimation on damage caused by the potential massive quake.

The experts said in the meeting that the mega-quake could leave some communities isolated, as the New Year's Day temblor on the Noto Peninsula did.

They called for individuals and communities to continue preparations to be self-reliant in the event of a quake, as well as to boost cooperation with businesses and volunteer groups.

The panel is expected to discuss measures to be taken, while taking into account the results of the government's ongoing review into the responses to the Noto Peninsula quake.

At Friday's meeting, the panel did not make clear when it will release the new estimation on damage, but the head of the panel, Nagoya University Professor Emeritus Fukuwa Nobuo, indicated they will aim to release it by the end of this year.

Fukuwa said what happened on the Noto Peninsula had been pointed out in previous earthquake countermeasures, and the panel would like to consider this in the light of previous discussions.