Two losing candidates challenge Indonesian presidential election

Two candidates who lost in Indonesia's presidential race last month allege election irregularities in cases filed with the Constitutional Court.

The country's election commission released the results of February's vote on Wednesday.

After more than a month of ballot counting, Defense Minister Prabowo Subianto was declared the winner with almost 60 percent of votes.

Two candidates, former Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan and former Central Java Governor Ganjar Pranowo, say there were irregularities in the election process. Anies took 24.9 percent of the vote, Ganjar garnered 16.5 percent.

The two candidates' camps filed separate cases with the Constitutional Court.

The running mate of Prabowo is a son of outgoing President Joko Widodo. He was initially ruled too young to register, but the court headed by Joko's brother-in-law made an exception.

The two camps question that decision and are said to be calling for the election to be held again.

A member of Ganjar's team, which filed its case on Saturday, said that their aim is to protect democracy and Indonesia's future.

The court is said to be planning to decide whether to dismiss or proceed with both cases by late April.