Catherine, Princess of Wales, announces being treated for cancer

Britain's Princess of Wales has announced she is undergoing cancer treatment in a video message.

The royal family released the video of Catherine, the wife of Prince William, on Friday.

The princess said in the video that when she underwent abdominal surgery in January in London, her condition was thought to be "non-cancerous."

But, she said, "The tests after the operation found cancer had been present."

The princess has not disclosed details of her condition, such as the degree of her progress. She said that her medical team advised her to undergo a course of preventive chemotherapy and that she is "now in the early stages of that treatment."

She went on to say that she is "well and getting stronger every day by focusing on the things that will help" her heal in her "mind, body and spirit."

The princess added that her family now needs "some time, space and privacy" while she completes her treatment.

She offered encouragement to others with cancer. She said: "For everyone facing this disease, in whatever form, please do not lose faith or hope. You are not alone."

The 42-year-old royal is very popular with the British public. She has not been seen at official functions since her surgery in January.