Scandal-hit Daihatsu submits list of reforms to govt.

Daihatsu Motor has submitted a list of operational improvements to the Japanese government following revelations the automaker faked tests to obtain vehicle safety certificates.

Daihatsu President Okudaira Soichiro delivered the report to the transport ministry on Friday.

The wrongdoing came to light last year. In January, the transport ministry ordered the company to improve operations.

A third-party committee cites Daihatsu's corporate culture as an underlying problem, including the pressure to develop vehicles in a short timeframe.

The company now plans to extend its development period 1.4-fold, and significantly increase the number of staff engaged in legal affairs and certifications.

Okudaira told reporters there are also plans to reorganize Daihatsu's management structure in cooperation with parent company Toyota. He says an announcement is due next week.

Daihatsu has suspended operations at all four domestic assembly plants in light of the scandal.

On Monday, the firm plans to resume production of two commercial vehicles for the first time in about one and a half months. It comes after the transport ministry lifted a temporary ban on shipments.

The automaker also decided on Friday to resume production of 10 other models from February 26.
It is unclear when Daihatsu will return to full operation, raising concerns about the impact on local economies and business partners.