US Secretary of State Antony Blinken has been pressing for a ceasefire in Gaza and the return of hostages to Israel. On Wednesday, he held a meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
Blinken had already spoken with other mediators from Egypt and Qatar. He sat down with Netanyahu in Jerusalem to discuss the latest ceasefire proposal from Hamas.
According to Al Jazeera, the plan involves three stages and would take 135 days to complete. It would start with a swap of Israeli hostages for Palestinians who have been jailed, followed by the full withdrawal of Israeli forces from Gaza.
After meeting with Blinken, Netanyahu rejected any such plan. He said, "I would like to emphasize again that there is no solution other than total victory. If Hamas survives in Gaza, it is only a matter of time until the next massacre."
Blinken admitted that any potential deal will require "a lot of work." He said, "While there are some clear non-starters in Hamas' response, we do think it creates space for agreement to be reached. And we will work at that relentlessly until we get there."
Netanyahu said no part of the Gaza Strip will be "immune" from his forces. Those areas may include Rafah, where more than a million Palestinians have taken shelter.