US national security advisor hints at further attacks on Iranian-backed groups

US National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan has said the United States will take more action in retaliation for a fatal attack on the US military in Jordan, which is believed to have been carried out by an Iranian-backed group.

Sullivan was speaking at an interview with ABC News on Sunday. The US military has been intensifying attacks on forces said to be linked to Iran following the death of three US service members in a US outpost in Jordan last week.

The military on Friday bombed facilities of Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps Quds Force and affiliated militia groups in Iraq and Syria.

On the following day, the US struck key targets of the Houthis, another Iranian-backed militia, in Yemen.

Sullivan said, "This was the beginning of our response, there will be more steps."

He added, "Some of those steps will be seen, some may not be seen," indicating that US retaliation would include actions that are not direct military assaults.

Sullivan said "we cannot rule out that there will be further attacks from Iranian-backed militias in Iraq and Syria or from the Houthis." He said President Joe Biden told his military commanders to be ready to respond.

During another interview with NBC News, Sullivan was asked about the possibility the US would strike targets inside Iran. He said "I'm not going to get into what we've ruled in and ruled out from the point of view of military action."

But he said the president "is not looking for a wider war in the Middle East."