Russia claims deadly attack on Ukraine barracks killed 600

Russia's defense ministry says its forces carried out a deadly attack in eastern Ukraine that killed more than 600 Ukrainian soldiers. But Ukraine has denied the claims.

Russian forces continued their attacks despite President Vladimir Putin's declaration of a 36-hour ceasefire that ended on Sunday midnight, Moscow time.

Pavlo Kyrylenko, governor of the Donetsk region in eastern Ukraine, said that schools and apartment buildings in Kramatorsk had been damaged by Russian rocket strikes before the unilaterally-declared truce ended.

Russia's defense ministry said on Sunday that its troops on the frontline observed the ceasefire and only responded to Ukraine's repeated artillery attacks.

The ministry also claimed that Russian forces had attacked, after the ceasefire, a barracks in Kramatorsk housing Ukrainian servicemen, killing more than 600.

The ministry called the attack revenge for a deadly Ukrainian strike a week ago on a Russian barracks in Makiivka, in part of the Donetsk region controlled by Russian forces. Dozens of Russian soldiers were reportedly killed.

A Ukrainian official told local media that Russia's claim is part of an effort to manipulate information. The official said that the Russian troops had no opportunity to carry out such a deadly attack.

Reuters news agency has distributed footage showing buildings that Russia claimed to have attacked. The agency says there were no sign of bodies or traces of blood.

Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said in a video address released on Sunday that Russian strikes on Kramatorsk and other cities were on civilian targets and were carried out "when Moscow was talking about the alleged 'truce.'"

He called the attacks new threats to Europe and the world.

Zelenskyy said the world has seen once again that Russia lies, and that "No attempt by Russia to manipulate diplomacy and policies will ever work again."