Canadian stabbing rampage suspect dies after arrest

Canadian police say the final suspect in a mass stabbing rampage is dead. Media reports say the man died of self-inflicted injuries shortly after he was arrested. The deadly stabbing spree on Sunday rattled the country.

Police found Myles Sanderson on Wednesday in the central province of Saskatchewan. He was driving a stolen vehicle about 100 kilometers from the area of the attacks. Media reports said officers rammed it off the road, and he surrendered.

Rhonda Blackmore with Royal Canadian Mounted Police said, "This evening our province is breathing a collective sigh of relief as Myles Sanderson is no longer at large. I can confirm he's no longer a threat and there is no risk to the public related to this investigation."

Police said Sanderson went into medical distress shortly after he was detained and was pronounced dead in hospital. They did not provide more details about his death.

The mass stabbing killed 10 people and injured 18 others. Two brothers were originally named as suspects.
One was found dead on Monday with injuries that did not appear to be self-inflicted.

Court documents show Myles Sanderson had a violent past. He had been serving a sentence of over 4 years on charges that included assault and robbery. A parole board released him in February.