65 people confirmed dead in powerful quake in Sichuan, China

China's state-run television says 65 people have been confirmed dead so far and more than 200 others injured in a powerful earthquake that struck the inland province of Sichuan on Monday.

The China Earthquake Administration said the magnitude 6.8 quake hit shortly before 1 p.m. on Monday. The epicenter was in Ganzi Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture of Sichuan.

China Central Television reported on Tuesday that more than 50,000 people evacuated to shelters. The quake damaged more than 10,000 houses and disrupted power and water services. Landslides reportedly blocked several roads.

CCTV said tremors likely to be aftershocks continue to be felt in the area, and that more than 10 people are missing.
The Chinese government has sent troops and firefighters on disaster relief operations in the affected areas.

Chinese President Xi Jinping has ordered all-out rescue efforts to minimize casualties.