EU discusses creating rapid response force

Members of the European Union have begun full-fledged discussions on creating a rapid deployment force to respond to crises.

The foreign ministers of the EU countries held talks at a two-day meeting through Tuesday. They discussed the draft guidelines for future security strategies, presented by the bloc's foreign policy chief Josep Borrell.

At a news conference after the meeting, Borrell noted the growing need to manage crises in a different way from conventional wars.

He referred to a large number of migrants gathered on the border between EU-member Poland and Belarus. The bloc is accusing Belarus of encouraging the migrants to cross into the EU.

Borrell said the bloc will need to act faster and more decisively.

He said the EU is considering a joint military force of up to 5,000 troops to deal with a range of crises. Borrell also said it would aim to respond to various threats, including in space and cyberspace.

The bloc has been preparing to draw up the guidelines since last year.

In August, many EU member states failed to evacuate their citizens and allies from Afghanistan ahead of the withdrawal of US troops. This prompted calls for enhancing the bloc's crisis management ability.

The EU is aiming to adopt the guidelines at a summit in March next year.