A meeting by the United Nations Security Council to discuss the North Korean missile launch has failed to issue a statement after opposition from China and Russia.
North Korea fired a missile on Tuesday from its northern region toward the east. An announcement by Pyongyang the next day said it was the first test-launch of its newly developed hypersonic missile, the Hwasong-8.
The UN council held a closed-door emergency meeting on Friday at the request of the United States, Britain and France.
Kenya's UN Ambassador Martin Kimani, the current council president, told reporters there would be no statement. He explained that envoys expressed their views at the meeting.
UN sources say US and European members called for a statement expressing concern, saying the launch employed ballistic missile technology in violation of Security Council resolutions.
But China and Russia reportedly opposed the move.
The meeting was initially scheduled for Thursday, but the sources say it was postponed after China expressed reluctance over the session.
The council previously failed to agree on a united response to Pyongyang's ballistic missile launches at an emergency meeting on September 15.