The government of Burkina Faso says armed assailants have killed about 100 civilians in the West African country's deadliest attack in recent years.
It said in a statement that the group attacked the village of Solhan in the country's northeast near the border with Niger during the night on Friday. They also burned houses and the market.
The government described the attackers as terrorists. But so far no group has claimed responsibility.
Attacks by militants linked to Al-Qaeda and the Islamic State group in West Africa's Sahel region have risen sharply, particularly in Burkina Faso, Mali, and Niger.
Burkina Faso's President Roch Marc Christian Kabore called the attack "barbaric" in a tweet and he decreed a national mourning period of 72 hours.
He said the defense and security forces are working hard to arrest the perpetrators of what he calls a despicable act.