Super Nintendo World opening delayed for 2nd time

Universal Studios Japan says it is delaying the opening of a theme park zone featuring the popular Nintendo character Mario for a second time. The decision on Thursday follows the government's declaration of a COVID-related state of emergency for Osaka Prefecture, where the park is located.

The park operator originally planned to open Super Nintendo World in July last year. But the spread of the virus prompted it to push the date back until early February.

It now says it will announce a new opening date after the state of emergency ends.

The operator has invested about 580 million dollars in the venture in a bid to draw more visitors.

The state of emergency is currently in place for 11 prefectures, including Osaka and Tokyo.