The head of Facebook says the company is extending its suspension of President Donald Trump's accounts "indefinitely and at least the next two weeks until the peaceful transition of power is complete."
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg issued a statement on Thursday after Trump supporters broke into the Capitol building the previous day.
Zuckerberg said Trump used his Facebook and Instagram accounts "to incite violent insurrection against a democratically elected government."
He added his company believes the risks of allowing the President to continue using its services during this period are "simply too great."
Facebook had earlier suspended Trump from posting on his account for 24 hours after removing a video and post he uploaded on Wednesday. In the video, Trump claimed the November presidential election had been "stolen."
The company said it decided that "on balance these posts contribute to, rather than diminish, the risk of ongoing violence."
YouTube also deleted the video, saying it violated company policy.
And on Twitter, Trump deleted three tweets after the company asked him to do so on Wednesday. Twitter said he had committed "severe violations" of its civic integrity rules.