Ex-US defense chiefs urge Trump to concede

Ten former US secretaries of defense have urged President Donald Trump to accept his Democratic rival Joe Biden's victory in the country's presidential election.

The group issued a joint statement in a Washington Post opinion article on Sunday.

It is made up of Republicans and Democrats, including Trump's first defense chief James Mattis and his successor Mark Esper as well as Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld.

They said, "Recounts and audits have been conducted. Appropriate challenges have been addressed by the courts." They added that the electoral college has voted, and that the time for questioning the results has passed.

The former secretaries of defense also noted that the US military is in no position to intervene in the election outcome, as senior defense officials have pointed out.

They said, "Efforts to involve the US armed forces in resolving election disputes would take us into dangerous, unlawful and unconstitutional territory,"
stressing the need for a peaceful power transfer.

Last month, US media reported that Trump and some of his aides had discussed the possibility of imposing martial law to overturn the results of the November vote.