Pompeo condemns China's HK security plan

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has condemned China's plan to impose national security legislation on Hong Kong.

The proposed law would allow Chinese security authorities to set up agencies and carry out their duties in the territory.

In a statement on Friday, Pompeo said the move "would be a death knell for the high degree of autonomy Beijing promised for Hong Kong."

He also said "the United States strongly urges Beijing to reconsider its disastrous proposal," which would "inevitably impact our assessment of One Country, Two Systems."

China announced the plan at the National People's Congress, which opened in Beijing on Friday. It is expected to be adopted on Thursday, the closing day.

NPC Vice Chairman Wang Chen criticized the United States. He said foreign forces are intervening in Hong Kong and harming national security.

US President Donald Trump warned that his country will react strongly to Beijing's attempt to pass the legislation.

Last year, Washington enacted the Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act, which stipulates that the US can suspend preferential trade treatment if the territory's high degree of autonomy is compromised.

It also allows sanctions to be imposed on Chinese officials if the suppression of human rights is confirmed.