Japan recovering after typhoon

Japan recovering after typhoon

One day has passed since Typhoon Jebi tore through western parts of Japan. Efforts are underway to grapple with the devastating aftermath.

11 people died, with hundreds more injured.
And a major operation to free thousands of stranded people from a hard-hit airport is still in full swing.

About 3,000 people were forced to spend the night at Kansai International Airport after it was flooded by a storm surge.

Busses are now shuttling them from the off-shore airport to the mainland by bus. People say it's been a long ordeal.

A man in his 50s says, "The long line for the bus makes me more tired."

A woman in her 30s says, "My flight was canceled at about 4 or 5 o'clock, so I had to stay at the airport. But I'm glad to go home."

Ferries are also moving people to Kobe. A man in his 40s says "I'm exhausted, but I'm glad to come back safely."

A woman in her 30s says, "I had a hard time. I felt anxiety because there was no information, no power, and no food."

The airport is still closed with all flights cancelled.
Officials say the power is still out in some parts of the main terminal and another facility is flooded. They add it's unclear when the airport will open again.

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has ordered government officials to do all they can to get stranded people out of the airport and to help with efforts to re-open it.

Typhoon Jebi also left a trail of widespread destruction beyond the airport. It was the strongest storm to hit Japan in a quarter of a century.

In the ancient capital of Kyoto, Jebi ravaged a world heritage site, Nishi-Honganji temple. The typhoon damaged a traditional theatre roof and other structures that are considered important cultural assets in the country.

Jebi also caused record high tides... with storm surges flooding wide areas.

In Hyogo prefecture, about 100 cars went up in flames... it's believed sea water reacted with their batteries.
Although the typhoon disrupted major transportation links in the country, shinkansen bullet train services are now back to their regular schedules. Some local trains are still experiencing delays.

In Osaka, about 2,000 traffic lights stopped working.