US, S.Korea: N.Korea missile launch fails

US, S.Korea: N.Korea missile launch fails

North Korea fired a ballistic missile on Sunday, but it appears to have failed. The US and South Korean militaries are working to gather details of the launch.

The US Pacific Command and South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff say they believe the missile blew up almost immediately after its launch.

They say the attempt was made in the eastern part of the country from a site near Sinpo in South Hamgyong Province.

Japan's Defense Ministry says it has not detected any projectiles that flew toward Japan, and has not seen any developments that would immediately affect the country.

On April 5th, the North fired a ballistic missile from the same site toward the Sea of Japan. An official at the US Defense Department said the April 5th missile was likely to have been a Scud-ER, which has a range of 1,000 kilometers.

The official said that missile also likely went out of control soon after the launch and the firing was unsuccessful.

But the South Korean military said the missile might have been a Pukguksong-2, a land-based variant of a submarine-launched ballistic missile, or SLBM.

A Pukguksong-2 was shown for the first time during Saturday's military parade marking the 105th anniversary of the birth of Kim Il Sung, the grandfather of leader Kim Jong Un.

The US and South Korean militaries have been on alert against the possibility that the North may take provocative actions to keep the administration of US President Donald Trump in check.
The Trump administration has suggested it won't rule out using military options against the North.

North Korea has also been strongly opposing the joint military drills by US and South Korean forces, which began last month.