Grated Yamaimo on Rice
Rice topped with grated yamaimo and soy sauce. So good!
Photographed by Akio Takeuchi
Rice & Noodles
Calorie count is per serving.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 200 g yamaimo
- 2 tbsp umami-rich soy sauceNote
*Refer to notes for ingredients and directions.
- 4 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp umami-rich soy sauce
- 4 rice bowls cooked rice (hot) (560 g)
- A pinch of aonori flakes
Use a spoon to scrape off and peel the yamaimo and then grate it.
Add [A] to the yamaimo and mix thoroughly.
Place the rice in individual bowls and cover with grated yamaimo. Sprinkle with aonori flakes.
[Umami-rich soy sauce] Makes approx. 400 ml
150 ml soy sauce
10 ml mirin
8 cm square piece of konbu kelp
20 g skipjack shavings
200 ml water
1. Put the water, soy sauce, mirin and konbu into a small pot. Place over medium heat and bring to a gentle boil.
2. Add the skipjack shavings and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 2 minutes. Line a strainer with a paper towel and place over a bowl. Empty the contents of the pot into the strainer to drain and squeeze tightly.
Will keep in the fridge for about two weeks if stored in an airtight jar.