Fried Chicken Marinated in Sweet and Sour Sauce (Chicken nanban)
A popular dish in Japan, originating in Miyazaki prefecture. Both sweet and sour and tartare sauces go wonderfully with chicken.
Photographed by Keiko Baba
Calorie count is per serving
Ingredients (Serves 2)
- 1 chicken thigh (260 g)
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 hard-boiled egg (coarsely minced)
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 3 sweet pickled rakkyo shallots (coarsely minced; store-bought)
- 1 leaf cabbage (cut into shreds)
- 1 small tomato (cut into wedges)
- 1/2 cucumber (diagonally sliced)
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of pepper
- A pinch of flour
- Oil for deep frying, as needed
With the knife parallel to the cutting board, slice open the chicken without separating the two halves. Cut into 8 pieces and season with salt and pepper.
Mix the [marinade] in a tray. Combine the [tartare sauce] ingredients.
Dust the chicken with flour and dip in beaten egg to enhance the flavor. Deep fry for 3-4 minutes in oil heated to160°C (low temperature) until golden brown. Then drain and marinate.
Plate up, garnish and serve with [tartare sauce].