Dining with the chef / Archives
Sep. 16, Mon.
Authentic Japanese Cooking
Marinating Part2: Chicken Namban (Fried Chicken Marinated in Sweet Vinegar)
Today's theme is "Marinating Part2". We are making "Chicken Namban", Fried Chicken Marinated in Sweet Vinegar. Fried chicken pieces quickly become pickled in a sweet and sour marinade. They are eaten with tartar sauce. It's a type of Western-influenced, Japanese chicken dish. For one variation, the fried chicken will become an open-faced sandwich.
Chicken Namban (Fried Chicken Marinated in Sweet Vinegar)
[Ingredients] *Serves 2Sweet vinegar marinade
100ml rice vinegarTartar sauce
3 tbsp sugar
2 tsp soy sauce
1/4 tsp salt
1 boiled egg300g chicken breast
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 tsp lemon juice
Salt and pepper
Flour, for dusting chicken
Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
1/4 head of lettuce
6 cherry tomatoes
1. For the marinade, place vinegar, sugar, soy sauce and salt in a pan, and bring to a simmer. Transfer into a bowl and cool to room temperature.
2. Finely chop the boiled eggs for the tartar sauce. Finely chop the cucumber pickles too. Finely chop the onion and rub with salt to remove any excess water and bitterness, rinse in water and dry with paper towels by squeezing. Combine the chopped eggs with onion, pickles, mayonnaise, salt and pepper. Finally add the lemon juice and mix. The tartar sauce is done.
3. Slice the chicken, and season with salt and pepper. Coat the chicken completely with flour using a brush. Dip the chicken in beaten eggs and deep-fry. Fry both sides, 1 minute for each side, then immediately soak in sweet vinegar marinade.
4. Cut the lettuce into fine strips and soak in cold water to crisp.
5. Arrange the chicken and cabbage onto a plate, spoon on the tartar sauce, and garnish with tomatoes and parsley.
Open-Faced Fried Chicken Sandwich
[Ingredients] *Serves 4Fried Chicken with Sweet Vinegar Sauce
Cherry tomato slices
1. Cut the marinated chicken into bite sized pieces.
2. Spread mustard and cream cheese onto a baguette, place the chicken on top, spoon the tartar sauce over it and top with the vegetables.