Dining with the chef / Archives
Aug. 26, Mon.
Rika's TOKYO CUISINE
Spicy Summer Dishes
Today's menu consists of 3 dishes each with its own flavorful composition. Our 1st dish is Spicy Seafood and Vegetable Salad seasoned with sweet and hot Korean miso called gochu-jang. Our 2nd dish is Green Spicy Aromatic Rice. Our last dish is black-pepper flavored dessert for the adults. These bold flavors will give you a boost, during the hot summer months!
Spicy Seafood and Vegetable Salad
[Ingredients] *Serves 2150g frozen mixed seafood (may include shrimp, squid and clam)
2 myoga ginger buds
5cm naganegi long onion
1 tbsp gochu-jang (Korean chili paste)
1 tbsp ground sesame seed
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1 pinch salt
1. Combine the gochu-jang with other seasonings to make dressing.
2. Then cut the myoga ginger buds and cucumber in half lengthwise. Cut the naganegi long onion and soak in water for 5 minutes.
3. Place the frozen mixed seafood into salted boiling water and cook until it gets tender, then drain.
4. Mix with the vegetables and it's done.
Green Spicy Aromatic Rice
[Ingredients] *Serves 21 bunch cilantro
10 shiso leaves
1/2 pack radish sprouts
1 tbsp minced ginger
1 tbsp minced garlic
1/2 cup minced naganegi long onion
1 red chili pepper
180ml short grain rice
60g ground pork
Salt and black pepper
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tsp nam pla (Thai fish sauce)
1 pinch granulated chicken soup stock
Lettuce, Nori sea weed, Natto (fermented soy beans), Kimchi (spicy Korean pickles), to serve
1. First prepare the rice as you normally would.
2. Mince the cilantro, shiso and radish sprouts. Also mince the naganegi long onion, ginger, garlic and chili pepper.
3. Heat the sesame oil in a frying pan and cook all of the vegetables except the green ones. Add ground pork when the vegetables are fragrant, season with salt and pepper and continue to cook.
4. When the ground pork is cooked, turn off the heat and mix with the warm, cooked rice.
5. Then add the raw green vegetables. Season it with nam pla and granulated chicken soup stock. Mix well and it's done.
6. We recommend wrapping the rice with lettuce or nori seaweed. And if it's available, natto and kimchi also goes very well with the rice.
Sautéed Bananas and Black Pepper
[Ingredients] *Serves 21 banana
1 tbsp granulated sugar
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
2 tbsp whiskey
2 scoops vanilla ice cream
Kinako roasted soy flour, to taste
1. Cut the banana in half, lengthwise and then cut into 5mm diagonal slices.
2. Heat a frying pan over medium heat, add butter and cook the banana slices.
3. Add the granulated sugar and black pepper, then flambé with whiskey.
4. Cook until the surface is lightly browned. Then arrange the pieces along with the scoops of ice cream, then sprinkle with kinako and it's done.