Dining with the chef / Archives
Jun. 24, Mon.
Rika's TOKYO CUISINE
Healthy Summer Party Menu
Rika will introduce healthy attractive Japanese party dishes. The appetizer is vegetable finger food salad, served with savory Japanese dipping sauce. The roast pork is presented sashimi-style with soy sauce-based sauce. Enjoy your weekend party at home with these wonderful dishes!
Pork Roast with Japanese-Style Sauce
[Ingredients] *Serves 4500g pork loin
2 tsp salt
2 cups / 400ml water
Radish sprouts for garnish
1/2 cup / 100ml soy sauce
1/2 cup / 100ml sake
1/2 cup / 100ml mirin
1/2 cup / 60g sugar
1. Rub the pork loin with salt. Place a rack over a baking sheet and place the pork on top.
2. Pour some water into the baking sheet and roast the pork at 120℃ in a gas oven for 50 minutes. If using an electric oven, roast the pork for 60 minutes.
3. Remove the pork from the oven, wrap with aluminum foil and let it rest for 20 minutes.
4. For the sauce, heat the soy sauce, sake, mirin and sugar in a pan until reduced by half.
5. Cut the pork into bite-sized pieces. Arrange with sprouts on a serving plate and pour the sauce over the top.
Vegetables and Shrimp with Yuzu-kosho Sauce
[Ingredients] *Serves 4Bitter squash
Marmelas (or snap peas)
250g small shrimp, uncooked, shelled and deveined
4 tbsp mayonnaise
2 tbsp sushi vinegar
2 tsp yuzu-kosho
1. Remove the seeds and white pith from the bitter squash and cut into 5mm slices. Rub the okura with salt to remove the downy hairs on the surface.
2. Prep the rest of the green vegetables, and briefly cook them all together in salted water. Place them into an ice bath to chill and crisp.
3. Peel the lotus root, cut in half and cut into 5mm thick slices. Peel the udo stalk, and cut into sticks. Soak the lotus root and udo stalk in vinegar water.
4. Cook the lotus root and udo stalk in salted water for 5 minutes. Then transfer them to an ice bath.
5. For the turnip, cut into 6 wedges then crisp in ice water.
6. For the shrimp, rub with salt, rinse in water, cook in hot water for 1 minute. Then place them into an ice bath.
7. Combine the mayonnaise, sushi vinegar and yuzu-kosho for the dipping sauce.
8. Arrange all of the ingredients onto a plate and it's done.
Ginger Soup with Dried Sardin Dashi Stock
[Ingredients] *Serves 21 tsp grated ginger
10cm naganegi long onion
1/2 clove garlic
1/2 dried red chili pepper
2 1/2 cups water
5 small dried sardines
1 tbsp kukonomi (Chinese wolfberry fruit)
1 tbsp dried wakame sea weed
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nam pla (Thai fish sauce)
1 tbsp roasted sesame seeds
1. For making stock, remove the heads and insides from the dried sardines, soak in water for 30 minutes, and turn on the heat. Remove them from water just before it comes to a boil.
2. Grate the ginger. Slice the naganegi long onion diagonally. Thinly slice the garlic. Mince the chili pepper.
3. Heat the stock with the vegetables, kukonomi, dried wakame and seasonings.
4. Add the roasted sesame seeds and it's done.